PALITAKAN is a community-based ecotourism supporting Calatagan Mangrove Conservation Park.
The objective of PALITAKAN:
- Conserve and protect natural marine resources in Barangay Kilitisan to raise the standard of living and promote environmental education.
- Promote ecotourism, sustainable marine ecosystem and coastal resource management (CRM).
- Seek awareness of current environmental problems to adapt and suggest measures of prevention.
YOUR DONATION WILL HELP CONTINUE OUR WORK AND SUPPORT THESE OBJECTIVES.
In November, 2007 the Sangguniang Kabataan ( youth council -2007 to 2010 ) passed Resolution no.3 requesting among other things for the sangguniang Barangay to declair the two islets near the shore of brgy.Quilitisan as brgy.nature park.In December of the same year Sangguniang Kabataan Chairman Hanna Esguerra introduced and sponsored said resolution to Sangguniang Barangay for the deliberation and approval.The same was approved in principle pending further study whether the Barangay Council has authority to do so.
After months of consultation of the Barangay Officials, were advised by the LGU and Municipal Council that only the Sangguniang Bayan of Calatagan has the authority to declare the islets as nature park considering that it is with in the municipal water.In August 2009 the Sanggunian Barangay Captain Danilo Quidem endorsed Resolution no.3 of the Sangguniang Barangay for managing the park.
Simultaneous with the above process, the Sangguniang Barangay held organized meetings with the different sectors of the community.The nature park was officially named Ang Pulo -The Calatagan Mangrove Forest Conservation Park .A management team was organized and now they are called PALITAKAN (Pro - mangrove ALliance and Implementing Team in Arm as Kilitisan's Advocates of Nature ).
The local government under Hon.Mayor Sophia G. Palacio, MD, thru the MENRO coordinated with Peace Corps volunteer, and The Conservation International for possible financial assistance to the project. Conservation International committed and delivered funds for the infrastructure projects and other budgets came from LGU to augment for labor.
Though the able leadership of Ang Pulo Cairperson Dionisio Gonzales ( 2010 - 2015) the park now boasts of a nipa hut, boat landing, board walks, floating rafts, water system, power supply, comfort room and a host of volunteers that assist students who do science research, environmental tourist and other guests who just wanted to commune with nature.
- To protect our natural marine resources in order to improve the socioeconomic condition of the members in Kilitisan, to create unity in preparation for the future generation with fear and faith in God
- to promote environmental education through ecotourism
- strengthen the association
- to maintain the welfare of all not only the self -interest